Search Term:

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Almost Lovers

Just some thoughts on this little poem posted by someone on facebook:

Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you
Why can't you just let me be?

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
Should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do


First of all, it seems to me, that it is the person, the almost lover, that the writer is saying goodbye to, that the writer is trying to forget.  This as opposed to saying goodbye to just the feeling or idea and not the person.
Also, it seems that the almost lover is still around even though the writer asks to 'just let me be'.  Whether the writer has actually asked or whether this is only unspoken, wishful thinking, I can't tell.
In the end, the writer decides to turn back on the almost lover, as it brings the writer heartache.

The idea of not finding love or romance where one would like to find it, causing that someone to turn back on another, is quite a sad thought for me.  I wonder, is it not possible to accept that the relationship will not lead to romance, while at the same time remain together as friends?  
I suppose it may be that the writer just needs some time away and will eventually be able to return and keep the friendship.  Personally though, I'd much rather spend the time with the friend, because you never know if the time spent away would turn out to be the only time you have.
I don't suppose it will be easy.  There will still be heartache and pain, I expect.  But this heartache is partly due to a refusal to accept, or trying to hold on to the idea of romance that is not there or can not be.  The first step really is to accept.  And from there, it will be easier.

Your thoughts?


Note: (16Oct2011)
I just realized that the selection, which I thought at first was a poem written by the poster, came from a song entitled 'Almost Lover'.  I don't know when the song came out.  I have never heard it before.  Anyway, it goes without saying that I interpreted only the given lines.  I don't know if the rest of the song gives it a different meaning.  Maybe one of these days, I'll get to listen to it in full and find out.  =P
 

2 comments:

  1. I am quite confused about why the writer saying goodbye, but then, he must be very depressed that the love he feels towards the girl isn't equal from his. I mean, we all get discouraged in an instant if someone won't accept us from what and who we are. That's why we have so called friends whom we can be what we want because they know us and people whom we can't call friends because they aren't broadminded enough to understand us. In his story, I guess, the person he/she fell in love with isn't the right one for him/her. Women are soft creations than men (I am an example) I tend to fall in love easily ( which I always considered as my number 1 weakness), while men? sometimes they are more hard to get than women, but in the end they will give in, (but make sure he is giving in because he falls truly not because he going to take advantage of the situation). The writer, must have to weigh things first before giving up, because even until now, PRIDE is still one of the barriers why we can't be happy with LOVE. But if the person, who's reason why he is in BrokenHeart situation can't accept him/her, then this person isn't his/her BondMate. It is hard to mend while it's still fresh, in time, it's gonna heal, and he/she will be free. He/She just has to give itself a space and time in order to be able to start a New Chapter.

    We always face the hurtful circumstances especially the matters of the heart yet, they will harden us and could be used as we go on living. I always believe that everything, or every person we met and going to meet aren't just coincidence, they happened and will happen for certain reasons....just never Give Up... :)
    PEACE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its hard to make friend after.

    ReplyDelete